Monday, October 13, 2008

The Sprint HTC Touch Diamond Review

The Sprint HTC Touch Diamond Review
You might remember that when I attended the Seattle Mobius in May, I was given the European version of the HTC Touch Diamond, which for network reasons I opted to have sent to Mitchell in Australia. The Diamond version he received and reviewed was at first glance nearly identical to the Sprint version I’ll be [...]

You might remember that when I attended the Seattle Mobius in May, I was given the European version of the HTC Touch Diamond, which for network reasons I opted to have sent to Mitchell in Australia. The Diamond version he received and reviewed was at first glance nearly identical to the Sprint version I’ll be covering today, with the exception of their back sides.

During his testing period, Mitchell found that he liked the small size of the device, the multitude of radios packed in that small package (HSDPA, WiFi, BT, GPS and FM), the sharpness of the 2.8″ VGA screen, and the 3.2 megapixel camera. Qualities which he found disappointing were the radio strength, the device’s sluggish response time when using the TouchFlo 3D interface, the battery life, the auto-screen rotation, and the faceted back which didn’t allow the device to lay flat.

Mitchell’s verdict was a reluctant Fail, and as he summarized, “I had very high hopes for the Diamond; I wanted it to wipe the smile off Apple’s face, and be a proper competitor to the unstoppable iPhone. But alas it isn’t. It has too many flaws to be a competitor, and to be honest it has too many flaws full stop.”

Can you blame me for not being too excited when it was later announced that Sprint would carry the US version?

However, with memories of the faster processor and updated ROM introduced by HTC when they released the US version of their Touch (versus its European cousin), I thought it might be worthwhile to revisit this particular device, to see if Mitchell’s complaints were still warranted.

Let’s see how the US version fared…

… [visit site to read more]


No comments: